Points to consider in your essay:
- High focus on mental health issues within western cultures - Stigmatised - seen as more important in western cultures.
- Ethnocentric because it is reflective of what most people in a particular place and time do - Ethnocentric and lacks historical validity.
- DSM is specific for certain cultures so not as ethnocentric when applied to that specific culture.
- Dysfunctional behaviour - one definition of it is a failure to function adequately - least ethnocentric as this will vary accordingly to each culture in a similar way.
- Trying to generalise to other cultures - ethnocentric - but only applying to studied culture less ethnocentric.
- If research into dysfunctional behaviour has diverse sample - less ethnocentric.
- Cultural definitions of health compared to objective definitions of health.